Go Back   Call Of Duty Boards - Forum Community for all Call of Duty Games > Call of Duty : Console Gaming > Console general discussions
Console general discussions A forum for all console users to meet and discuss games

Are console users soon to be screwed too?
Old 11-13-2009   #1
BritishBulldog1
Administrator
General of the Army

Rep: BritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to all
Are console users soon to be screwed too?

Please read the following, (Tizmo may be able to provide a better translation.)

Quote:
hActivision gaat een online betaalmodel introduceren voor zijn grootste franchise, waaronder Call of Duty. Dit meldde Thomas Tippl, financieel manager bij Activision Blizzard, in een interview met website IGN tijdens het BMO Capital Markets Conference in New York.
© Gamer.nl

Dit nieuwe model zou mogelijk kunnen betekenen dat mensen extra moeten betalen om games van Activision online te moeten spelen. Tippl meldde in het interview dat, hoewel het lastig is om het online business-model van World of Warcraft naar andere franchise van de uitgever te vertalen, het zeker verwacht kan worden dat dit gaat gebeuren. De uitgever gaat hiervoor de kennis die door de jaren heen is opgedaan door hun eigen onlineteam en dat van Blizzard combineren.

Marktonderzoek

Volgens Tippl hebben fans aangegeven dat er vraag is naar extra mogelijkheden, content en innovatie die ze momenteel nog missen en zijn ze zelfs bereid hiervoor te betalen. Mogelijk komt deze informatie uit een marktonderzoek dat Activision afgelopen juni heeft gehouden.

Wanneer het nieuwe model van start moet gaan en wat het precies gaat inhouden, is nog niet bekend.

SOURCE

Translation: Google

Activision will introduce an online payment model for its largest franchise, including Call of Duty. This was announced by Thomas Tipple, financial manager at Activision Blizzard, in an interview with IGN web site during the BMO Capital Markets Conference in New York.
© Gamer.nl

This new model could potentially mean that people should pay extra for Activision games to play online. Tipple reported in the interview that, although it is difficult for the online business model for World of Warcraft franchise to another publisher of the translation, it certainly can be expected that this will happen. The publisher is this knowledge that over the years gained through their own online team and that of Blizzard combine.

Market research

According Tipple fans have indicated that demand for additional features, content and innovation that they are still missing and are even willing to pay. This information may come from a market that Activision has taken over in June.

When the new model to start and what exactly is the content is not yet known.

MORE HERE
Is this the long term aim?

1. First remove dedicated servers, knowing they will take a hit in PC sales.

2. Allow free play but charge for downloadable content.

3. Develop the ability for consoles to play against PC on IWNET.

4. Next, encourage console users to migrate to the PC for a little more functionality. (special features, keyboard, mouse, adjustable graphics, in-game text.)

5. Finally, charge a subscription to play on IWNET and develop the game along the lines of WoW.

The potential reward for IW/Activision could be huge as they start to take the revenue that currently goes to MS and all they have done, is force the dissatisfied PC hardcore over to Treyarch, so no long term damage done to the player base for Activision. (Note that MW2 is NOT a "Game for Windows" like MW1.)

This is pure guesswork, but it seems to make some sense.

BB1
173.199.79.193:3074 codboards ranked BO Ldn server
216.155.140.156:3074 codboards unranked NY server
66.55.155.89:28960 HoB5 USA server (WaW)
66.55.149.121:28960 codboards Heat of Battle UO
Teamspeak TS3 server 63.209.37.30:9101
http://www.heatofbattle.net

[IMG][/IMG]

Re: Are console users soon to be screwed too?
Old 11-13-2009   #2
BritishBulldog1
Administrator
General of the Army

Rep: BritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to all

Double posting I'm afraid, but this needs to be published and the word passed around.

Posted at DeviantART.

Quote:
I saw on the website, Modernwarfare247.com:

[nov 2, 2009.]
;Infinity Ward may have a service that will allow players on Xbox live, and Playstation network access to VIP servers for Modern Warfare 2. These servers will lag-free, and be much more efficient. Infinity ward may be thinking of charging players an additional $2(USD)/month.

“We know everything there is to know about Modern Warfare 2,” Said Robert Bowling, community manager of Infinity Ward. "We know that Modern Warfare 2 will be one of the most popular games of this age. "I think that giving the players what they want is the most important for our staff." "We want to team up with our publishers, Activision, and provide this one of a kind service to our loyal players."

Heres a question, would you pay for this kind of service???
I've searched Modernwarfare247.com, but can't find the post he refers to. Is it a myth, or did they realise that they may have opened a can of worms.

BB1

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-13-2009   #3
BritishBulldog1
Administrator
General of the Army

Triple post

Quote:
According to a mysterious survey making the rounds, Activision is considering creating an online service that would bring timed exclusive content, as well as premium extras, to the multiplayer side of the Call of Duty franchise.

The survey -- of which we can’t verify its validity, but certainly felt interesting enough to pass on -- specifically mentions that the supposed service would “enhance the multiplayer experience and provide exclusive access to a group of gameplay enhancements.” This includes early access to expansions and betas, and exclusive access to character skins, enhanced stat tracking, game modes and even “support for competitive play.”

The service may come with a monthly fee attached to it or may come bundled with a copy of Call of Duty for a flat rate. The monthly fee idea is especially interesting: in March, Activision’s Bobby Kotick hinted at the possibility of a Call of Duty MMO.

"...when you think about other properties that we own and control, like Call of Duty, and what would be the natural evolution of a property like Call of Duty into a massively multiplayer environment, and how do you monetize that," Kotick stated at the Morgan Stanley Technical Conference three billion Internet years ago.

Well, this theoretical online shell -- not quite an MMO -- is certainly one way Activision could suck more rabid fan coin.
SOURCE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoDsubscrip01-noscale.jpg (99.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CoDsubscrip02-noscale.jpg (100.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CoDsubscrip03-noscale.jpg (96.2 KB, 2 views)

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-13-2009   #4
Tizmo
post numbers don't count, I'm a tag holder
General of the Army

Rep: Tizmo is a name known to allTizmo is a name known to allTizmo is a name known to allTizmo is a name known to allTizmo is a name known to allTizmo is a name known to all

If it were in German, I could translate. I do not speak Dutch

Old 11-14-2009   #5
Stealthboy50
STOP IWNET!
Captain

Rep: Stealthboy50 is on a distinguished road

BB, makes alota sense. Charging for online play is not gonna work, but charging for IwNet that offers"Lag free efficient servers" (Basically dedicated servers) will work with most console players if they start at lets say £1.50 a month. Then the prices will go up and up, untill we are looking at £5 a month to play.

Having said that, the day they decide to do that, Cod sales will fall, and most people will switch to another game. It would never work, just like IW.Net, but try telling activision that.

Old 11-18-2009   #6
Anubis80
Tag Holder
Major

Rep: Anubis80 is on a distinguished road

I still wont pay. Sorry but Sony has given us PS3 users a free network to play on (outside of our fees for our ISPs of course). So they wont get any money out of me. Sorry. I have a great connection myself and I usually play Spec Ops and host so there is no lag issues and when I play online I usually host our party and have had no lag issues too. The only time I have any lag issues is when someone else hosts the party or the game we are playing. And even then I dont have too many issues there.

PSN: Anubis80
Its called a WOO HOO bar.

Old 11-18-2009   #7
Zach
Lieutenant Colonel

Rep: Zach is on a distinguished road

I have enough bills to pay for each month, i do not need to add a video game subscription to that list....