Go Back   Call Of Duty Boards - Forum Community for all Call of Duty Games > Community Forums, > War Zone™
War Zone™ A great place for the community to debate several topics.

Explain how the British politicians think?
Old 11-16-2009   #1
Laz
Server admin & forum moderator
General

Rep: Laz is just really niceLaz is just really niceLaz is just really niceLaz is just really nice
Explain how the British politicians think?

I have lately seen a number of things from the UK that makes me wonder how they think when they write the laws. Any one care to explain?

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/n...l/article.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dophiles.html#

I find this a mockery. But I dont live in the UK, so perhaps someone there better understands? Same thing goes for your gun laws, has it brung down gun related crime that no one can legally own a firearm?

Re: Explain how the British politicians think?
Old 11-16-2009   #2
Alpha_Pasta
General of the Army

Rep: Alpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
I have lately seen a number of things from the UK that makes me wonder how they think when they write the laws. Any one care to explain?

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/n...l/article.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dophiles.html#

I find this a mockery. But I dont live in the UK, so perhaps someone there better understands? Same thing goes for your gun laws, has it brung down gun related crime that no one can legally own a firearm?
You can't answer whether it has brought gun crime down, because gun use has never been widespread in this country anyway for decades. That is a purely hypothetical question.

Secondly, I personally find the Daily Mail a very questionnable source. It is very biased towards the right and can hardly be called journalism. Mostly it just engages in character assassination and bending the truth. It is mostly a populist newspaper with a populist agenda. Its tactics consist of trying to shock readers into buying its newspapers...

Not that there is anything wrong with the "right" as such - you're just better off reading the Daily Telegraph or The Times.

Quote:
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realise till you have tried to make it precise" - Bertrand Russell
By: TwitterButtons.com

Old 11-16-2009   #3
Laz
General

Rep: Laz is just really niceLaz is just really niceLaz is just really niceLaz is just really nice

Well, I am not commenting on the newspaper, but the news in particularly. Is it a hoax you mean?

And why cant you answer if it has brought down gun crime? Is there no place to check the statistics? The laws was made on a date, so you can just compare before and after.

Where I live the gun crime is rising, but the guns used are comming in illegal from the east, so changing our gun laws wont change a thing, except make it illegal to own legal guns (almost never used in crime).

Edit: different source, same news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...lay-areas.html

Last edited by Laz; 11-16-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2009   #4
Alpha_Pasta
General of the Army

Rep: Alpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to beholdAlpha_Pasta is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
Well, I am not commenting on the newspaper, but the news in particularly. Is it a hoax you mean?

And why cant you answer if it has brought down gun crime? Is there no place to check the statistics? The laws was made on a date, so you can just compare before and after.

Where I live the gun crime is rising, but the guns used are comming in illegal from the east, so changing our gun laws wont change a thing, except make it illegal to own legal guns (almost never used in crime).
Its called "appealing to proper authority" - the argument itself becomes dubious if the source can be properly called into question.

Quote:
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realise till you have tried to make it precise" - Bertrand Russell
By: TwitterButtons.com

Old 11-16-2009   #5
Laz
General

So, wait. You dismiss the whole argument based on the newspaper I linked to? If I had linked to the telegraph first then what?

Old 11-16-2009   #6
BritishBulldog1
Administrator
General of the Army

Rep: BritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to all

Newspapers cannot report what has not happened. Sure, they twist things from time to time and write things to put a different slant on it. Having said that, it is also true that we were not in the courtroom and do not know of all the things that were said. There may be more to the gun story than the paper is publishing. To my mind, an English Jury would apply common sense in this situation and if what they report is true, they would have defied the law - unless the judge directed them wrongly (I know that happens, as it happened to me and I was found not guilty on a Point of Law after appealing.)

What is worrying, is that we are becoming more and more like a police state and it is due more and more to this Labour government. It started under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown doesn't have the gumption to stop it. If I had young children wishing to use that playground, they would have to cart me off in a police car before I would remove myself from watching my children. Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Gun crime, like Alpha stated, has never been as serious here as in other countries, mainly due to ourgun laws, now and previously, but having said that, most gun crimes are committed with illegally owned weapons. No, I do not believe gun crime has been reduced due to the new laws.

BB1
173.199.79.193:3074 codboards ranked BO Ldn server
216.155.140.156:3074 codboards unranked NY server
66.55.155.89:28960 HoB5 USA server (WaW)
66.55.149.121:28960 codboards Heat of Battle UO
Teamspeak TS3 server 63.209.37.30:9101
http://www.heatofbattle.net

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-22-2012   #7
dRivera
Private

Rep: dRivera is on a distinguished road

Normal people are not into all these intrigues and this is a very hard task for an ordinary person to realize such situations as far as I'm concerned. I could never understand politics because politicians barely understand what's in their heads.

Old 03-31-2012   #8
sneaky-old-git
Technician 4th Grade

Rep: sneaky-old-git

An excellent example of an oxymoron .

"Politicians and think"